Monday, April 7, 2014

World's Easiest Sweet and Sour Chicken


Update: This post is not affiliated or sponsored by Perdue. We just really like their chicken nuggets!

I know ... that title is a bit grandiose. But I'm not kidding! This recipe was super easy-peasy!

As I am still recouping from the nastiest sinus infection ever to grace my crainum, I was low on time, energy and ideas for last night's meal. I needed a something fast and easy ... and something that took very small amounts of concentration to prepare.

Now for the backstory ... Prince Charming cooks chicken nuggets for our littles every Sunday night after Awana. It has become their favorite tradition ... and probably favorite meal ... of the week. Well, I usually buy the Perdue Whole Grain Chicken Nuggets (they are quite yummy), but our store was out when it was time to refill the freezer. So I grabbed two bags of their Simply Smart Lightly Breaded Chicken Chunks since that's all that was available. Hubby made them one Sunday night ... and they were scarfed down immediately! Super good! As I was sneaking a few from the pan (our boys are QUITE territorial of their Sunday Night Nuggets), I thought "there must be some recipe I can use these in."

Fast forward to last night...the proverbial light bulb came on (however dimly) -- "I can make sweet and sour chicken with those bad boys!"

I whipped out my Kindle and pulled up this recipe at the Made It. Ate It. Loved It. blog (SOOOO crazy good!). And promptly began winging it.

Dump bag of Simply Smart chunks into wok over medium heat. (No oil needed).


While chunks are heating, mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl: 3/4 cup white sugar, 4 Tbs ketchup, 1/2 distilled white vinegar, 1 Tbs light sodium soy sauce, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 Tbs pineapple juice (or as much as you like).


Pour sauce into wok with chicken. Stir until sauce thickens (about 5-6 minutes).


While sauce is thickening, dice up some bell pepper, carrots, onions ... whatever you'd like. I diced a half of a bell pepper and then made sticks out of a handful of baby carrots (what I had on hand).


Also, since the chunks are in various sizes, I used the end of my spatula to cut the chunks into small, bite-size pieces.


Once sauce is thick, toss in the bell peppers, carrots, etc. to warm them up. This only takes a few minutes. The sauce will be all thick and clinging to the chicken and veggies.


Serve over rice (I used Minute brown rice) and enjoy!! :)


What new receipes have you come up out of desperation creativeness lately? Do share!

Linking up with "Works for Me Wednesday" at the We Are That Family blog.


4 comments:

  1. So smart to use chicken nuggets instead of taking forever to dry your own. I might just have to make this tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, girl! Every second counts in a house full of hungry boys, too! Let me know how they turn out.

      Delete
  2. This looks yummy! Do you use raw carrots and just let them cook in the sauce a few minutes? Or are they packaged frozen carrots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Julie! I just used raw baby carrots and sliced them up into sticks. I added them and the diced bell pepper in at the same time and let them cook in the sauce for a few minutes so they were warm but still a bit crunchy. Yum!

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Show the love - leave a comment!

Note: My corner of the web is a friendly place, so any malicious or rude comments will be deleted.